The internet is giving authors at all stages of their career a new way to promote themselves. By distributing e-books as PDFs or Word .DOC files, authors can cut out all the costs associated with publishing. Readers can try-before-they-buy, or print out the books to read on the train. Here are links to some free ebooks. I'll update this page as I come across new titles.
- Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom - by Cory Doctorow. Futuristic novel set in a time post-money when status is everything and co-ops live in and run Disney's Magic Kingdom. Lots of ideas in a small space, with some odd diversions. Recommended. Available in your choice of format, including audio.
- God's Debris (PDF) - Dilbert cartoonist Scott Adams comes over all philosophical in this 'thought experiment'. The story format's contrived and there are a few leaps of logic, but it is packed with ideas from start to finish.
- How to be Creative (PDF) - Advertising executive Hugh MacLeod gives 26 tips for a more creative life. The tips are more to do with his hobby of drawing cartoons on business cards than his full-time job. Inspiring stuff for creative hobbyists everywhere.
- Really Bad Powerpoint (PDF) - Seth Godin offers some inspiration on presentations. You can't follow his advice all the time, but it's a good starting point for presentations that sparkle.
- Unleashing the Idea Virus (PDF) - Seth Godin's book on viral marketing