How to write comedy for TV, radio or stage
If you're interested in writing comedy films, sitcoms or radio sketches, here's some free careers advice. These articles are based on talks I've seen by highly experienced comedy writers at the London Comedy Writers Festival 2011.
- 11 Tips for New Comedy Film Writers by Dan Mazer. Mazer works with Sascha Baron Cohen and has co-written Ali G, Borat and Bruno.
- Top tips on writing comedy from Griff Rhys Jones. Another talk from the London Comedy Writers Festival 2011. What's the difference between a pizza and a comedy writer?
- How to write radio comedy. Advice on breaking into writing for radio from an expert panel including writers and editors from BBC and commercial radio programmes.
- How can gold envelopes get you a gig as a comedy writer? A short piece pulling out a key theme in the talk by Robert Popper, bestselling author and producer/writer for shows including South Park, The Inbetweeners and Peep Show.
- How to write comedy scripts actors want to perform. What draws an actor or performer to a script? Find out what Jessica Hynes and Stephen Mangan look for in a script. Also includes expert advice from a panel of comedians and writer-performers.