Welcome to Coder Academy, where you will learn all about what it takes to create games and other software. This book has been created for children aged 7 to 10 years old, and it helps you to develop skills in:
- Understanding computer languages, with a focus on Scratch;
- Art and animation, including designing your own character using the stickers provided;
- Computer music, including composing your own tune using a pattern grid and designing your own digital instrument;
- Building your own web page, using HTML, including writing your own page content; and
- Decorating your web page with colours and borders.
The book includes a mixture of activities that you can carry out on the page as well as activities you can carry out on screen. You can take the book with you wherever you go to build your coding skills, and prepare for your time using the computer. The book also comes with a reversible poster and game board, 3D model robots, stickers, and game cards (see below).
Most of the coding activities are based on Scratch 2.0, a free programming language that is popular with children. It has 18 million users worldwide and is celebrating its tenth anniversary in 2017.